Saturday, July 14, 2007

MMM...machetes!

Here is a picture of a crazy fruit they call mamones. You peel the outer layer and then chew this sweet fleshy covering that encloses the seed. Its pretty good and there is a huge tree full of them in front of my house.
The following is a photo of the ¨Chocolate Cake and Machete¨ section of my local grocery store.

You can pretty much buy these things anywhere. Old women and children carry them. I´m thinking it should become part of the Costa Rican flag.

Today, I got to meet President Oscar Arias again. He is a Nobel Peace Prize winner, former professor at Harvard, and all around bad-ass. He was visiting because they are planning on building an international airport in my area (La Zona Sur) which is also the most impoverished area of Costa Rica. This would bring in many millions of dollars in revenue from tourism, but would also bring many problems with drugs and prostitution.

Still working on my community anaylsis and making finalizations on my community map. I think i´m getting very used to the pace of Tico life which might be a bad thing on my return to the hustle and bustle of the Estados Unidos. Time to go, but I´d like to dedicate this blog to my cousin Travis, who likes to read it when he´s bored at work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Bill! YAY! COSTA RICA!

Unknown said...

Haha, thanks for the dedication. I can't believe it took me this long to read your latest post. And you better believe that I'm currently bored out of my mind. Nick is coming in to town tonight so maybe we'll discuss a possible trip soon. Peace cuz.

Anonymous said...

dude, Tell the prez to get the airport mang.